1) n. - The mark or impression of something; stamp; impressed sign; emblem.
2) n. - Form or character impressed; style; semblance.
3) n. - A figure or representation of something to come; a token; a sign; a symbol; -- correlative to antitype.
4) n. - That which possesses or exemplifies characteristic qualities; the representative.
5) n. - A general form or structure common to a number of individuals; hence, the ideal representation of a species, genus, or other group, combining the essential characteristics; an animal or plant possessing or exemplifying the essential characteristics of a species, genus, or other group. Also, a group or division of animals having a certain typical or characteristic structure of body maintained within the group.
6) n. - The original object, or class of objects, scene, face, or conception, which becomes the subject of a copy; esp., the design on the face of a medal or a coin.
7) n. - A simple compound, used as a mode or pattern to which other compounds are conveniently regarded as being related, and from which they may be actually or theoretically derived.
8) n. - A raised letter, figure, accent, or other character, cast in metal or cut in wood, used in printing.
9) n. - Such letters or characters, in general, or the whole quantity of them used in printing, spoken of collectively; any number or mass of such letters or characters, however disposed.
10) v. t. - To represent by a type, model, or symbol beforehand; to prefigure.
11) v. t. - To furnish an expression or copy of; to represent; to typify.
Share this page