1) a. - To gain by superiority in competition or contest; to obtain by victory over competitors or rivals; as, to win the prize in a gate; to win money; to win a battle, or to win a country.
2) a. - To allure to kindness; to bring to compliance; to gain or obtain, as by solicitation or courtship.
3) a. - To gain over to one's side or party; to obtain the favor, friendship, or support of; to render friendly or approving; as, to win an enemy; to win a jury.
4) a. - To come to by toil or effort; to reach; to overtake.
5) a. - To extract, as ore or coal.
6) v. i. - To gain the victory; to be successful; to triumph; to prevail.
Share this page