1) n. - A covering for the human foot, usually made of leather, having a thick and somewhat stiff sole and a lighter top. It differs from a boot on not extending so far up the leg.
2) n. - Anything resembling a shoe in form, position, or use.
3) n. - A plate or rim of iron nailed to the hoof of an animal to defend it from injury.
4) n. - A band of iron or steel, or a ship of wood, fastened to the bottom of the runner of a sleigh, or any vehicle which slides on the snow.
5) n. - A drag, or sliding piece of wood or iron, placed under the wheel of a loaded vehicle, to retard its motion in going down a hill.
6) n. - The part of a railroad car brake which presses upon the wheel to retard its motion.
7) n. - A trough-shaped or spout-shaped member, put at the bottom of the water leader coming from the eaves gutter, so as to throw the water off from the building.
8) n. - The trough or spout for conveying the grain from the hopper to the eye of the millstone.
9) n. - An inclined trough in an ore-crushing mill.
10) n. - An iron socket or plate to take the thrust of a strut or rafter.
11) n. - An iron socket to protect the point of a wooden pile.
12) n. - A plate, or notched piece, interposed between a moving part and the stationary part on which it bears, to take the wear and afford means of adjustment; -- called also slipper, and gib.
13) n. - To furnish with a shoe or shoes; to put a shoe or shoes on; as, to shoe a horse, a sled, an anchor.
14) n. - To protect or ornament with something which serves the purpose of a shoe; to tip.
Share this page