1) v. - A part or portion.
2) v. - A number of persons united in opinion or action, as distinguished from, or opposed to, the rest of a community or association; esp., one of the parts into which a people is divided on questions of public policy.
3) v. - A part of a larger body of company; a detachment; especially (Mil.), a small body of troops dispatched on special service.
4) v. - A number of persons invited to a social entertainment; a select company; as, a dinner party; also, the entertainment itself; as, to give a party.
5) v. - One concerned or interested in an affair; one who takes part with others; a participator; as, he was a party to the plot; a party to the contract.
6) v. - The plaintiff or the defendant in a lawsuit, whether an individual, a firm, or corporation; a litigant.
7) v. - Hence, any certain person who is regarded as being opposed or antagonistic to another.
8) v. - Cause; side; interest.
9) v. - A person; as, he is a queer party.
10) v. - Parted or divided, as in the direction or form of one of the ordinaries; as, an escutcheon party per pale.
11) v. - Partial; favoring one party.
12) adv. - Partly.
Share this page