1) n. - A female parent; especially, one of the human race; a woman who has borne a child.
2) n. - That which has produced or nurtured anything; source of birth or origin; generatrix.
3) n. - An old woman or matron.
4) n. - The female superior or head of a religious house, as an abbess, etc.
5) n. - Hysterical passion; hysteria.
6) a. - Received by birth or from ancestors; native, natural; as, mother language; also acting the part, or having the place of a mother; producing others; originating.
7) v. t. - To adopt as a son or daughter; to perform the duties of a mother to.
8) n. - A film or membrane which is developed on the surface of fermented alcoholic liquids, such as vinegar, wine, etc., and acts as a means of conveying the oxygen of the air to the alcohol and other combustible principles of the liquid, thus leading to their oxidation.
9) v. i. - To become like, or full of, mother, or thick matter, as vinegar.
Share this page