1) n. - A limb or member of an animal used for supporting the body, and in running, climbing, and swimming; esp., that part of the limb between the knee and foot.
2) n. - That which resembles a leg in form or use; especially, any long and slender support on which any object rests; as, the leg of a table; the leg of a pair of compasses or dividers.
3) n. - The part of any article of clothing which covers the leg; as, the leg of a stocking or of a pair of trousers.
4) n. - A bow, esp. in the phrase to make a leg; probably from drawing the leg backward in bowing.
5) n. - A disreputable sporting character; a blackleg.
6) n. - The course and distance made by a vessel on one tack or between tacks.
7) n. - An extension of the boiler downward, in the form of a narrow space between vertical plates, sometimes nearly surrounding the furnace and ash pit, and serving to support the boiler; -- called also water leg.
8) n. - The case containing the lower part of the belt which carries the buckets.
9) n. - A fielder whose position is on the outside, a little in rear of the batter.
10) v. t. - To use as a leg, with it as object
11) v. t. - To bow.
12) v. t. - To run.
Share this page