1) n. - The forehead or brow, the part of the face above the eyes; sometimes, also, the whole face.
2) n. - The forehead, countenance, or personal presence, as expressive of character or temper, and especially, of boldness of disposition, sometimes of impudence; seeming; as, a bold front; a hardened front.
3) n. - The part or surface of anything which seems to look out, or to be directed forward; the fore or forward part; the foremost rank; the van; -- the opposite to back or rear; as, the front of a house; the front of an army.
4) n. - A position directly before the face of a person, or before the foremost part of a thing; as, in front of un person, of the troops, or of a house.
5) n. - The most conspicuous part.
6) n. - That which covers the foremost part of the head: a front piece of false hair worn by women.
7) n. - The beginning.
8) a. - Of or relating to the front or forward part; having a position in front; foremost; as, a front view.
9) v. t. - To oppose face to face; to oppose directly; to meet in a hostile manner.
10) v. t. - To appear before; to meet.
11) v. t. - To face toward; to have the front toward; to confront; as, the house fronts the street.
12) v. t. - To stand opposed or opposite to, or over against as, his house fronts the church.
13) v. t. - To adorn in front; to supply a front to; as, to front a house with marble; to front a head with laurel.
14) v. t. - To have or turn the face or front in any direction; as, the house fronts toward the east.
Share this page