1) n. - A counter, used in various games.
2) pl. - of Fish
3) n. - A name loosely applied in popular usage to many animals of diverse characteristics, living in the water.
4) n. - An oviparous, vertebrate animal usually having fins and a covering scales or plates. It breathes by means of gills, and lives almost entirely in the water. See Pisces.
5) n. - The twelfth sign of the zodiac; Pisces.
6) n. - The flesh of fish, used as food.
7) n. - A purchase used to fish the anchor.
8) n. - A piece of timber, somewhat in the form of a fish, used to strengthen a mast or yard.
9) v. i. - To attempt to catch fish; to be employed in taking fish, by any means, as by angling or drawing a net.
10) v. i. - To seek to obtain by artifice, or indirectly to seek to draw forth; as, to fish for compliments.
11) v. t. - To catch; to draw out or up; as, to fish up an anchor.
12) v. t. - To search by raking or sweeping.
13) v. t. - To try with a fishing rod; to catch fish in; as, to fish a stream.
14) v. t. - To strengthen (a beam, mast, etc.), or unite end to end (two timbers, railroad rails, etc.) by bolting a plank, timber, or plate to the beam, mast, or timbers, lengthwise on one or both sides. See Fish joint, under Fish, n.
Share this page