1) n. pl. - See Foot.
2) n. - Fact; performance.
3) n. - That which corresponds to the foot of a man or animal; as, the foot of a table; the foot of a stocking.
4) n. - The lowest part or base; the ground part; the bottom, as of a mountain or column; also, the last of a row or series; the end or extremity, esp. if associated with inferiority; as, the foot of a hill; the foot of the procession; the foot of a class; the foot of the bed.
5) n. - Fundamental principle; basis; plan; -- used only in the singular.
6) n. - Recognized condition; rank; footing; -- used only in the singular.
7) n. - A measure of length equivalent to twelve inches; one third of a yard. See Yard.
8) n. - Soldiers who march and fight on foot; the infantry, usually designated as the foot, in distinction from the cavalry.
9) n. - A combination of syllables consisting a metrical element of a verse, the syllables being formerly distinguished by their quantity or length, but in modern poetry by the accent.
10) n. - The lower edge of a sail.
11) v. i. - To tread to measure or music; to dance; to trip; to skip.
12) v. i. - To walk; -- opposed to ride or fly.
13) v. t. - To kick with the foot; to spurn.
14) v. t. - To set on foot; to establish; to land.
15) v. t. - To tread; as, to foot the green.
16) v. t. - To sum up, as the numbers in a column; -- sometimes with up; as, to foot (or foot up) an account.
17) v. t. - The size or strike with the talon.
18) v. t. - To renew the foot of, as of stocking.
Share this page