1) a. & n. - The rent of land, -- originally paid by reservation of part of its products.
2) a. & n. - The term or tenure of a lease of land for cultivation; a leasehold.
3) a. & n. - The land held under lease and by payment of rent for the purpose of cultivation.
4) a. & n. - Any tract of land devoted to agricultural purposes, under the management of a tenant or the owner.
5) a. & n. - A district of country leased (or farmed) out for the collection of the revenues of government.
6) a. & n. - A lease of the imposts on particular goods; as, the sugar farm, the silk farm.
7) v. t. - To lease or let for an equivalent, as land for a rent; to yield the use of to proceeds.
8) v. t. - To give up to another, as an estate, a business, the revenue, etc., on condition of receiving in return a percentage of what it yields; as, to farm the taxes.
9) v. t. - To take at a certain rent or rate.
10) v. t. - To devote (land) to agriculture; to cultivate, as land; to till, as a farm.
11) v. i. - To engage in the business of tilling the soil; to labor as a farmer.
Share this page