1) n. - A soft, downy substance, resembling fine wool, consisting of the unicellular twisted hairs which grow on the seeds of the cotton plant. Long-staple cotton has a fiber sometimes almost two inches long; short-staple, from two thirds of an inch to an inch and a half.
2) n. - The cotton plant. See Cotten plant, below.
3) n. - Cloth made of cotton.
4) v. i. - To rise with a regular nap, as cloth does.
5) v. i. - To go on prosperously; to succeed.
6) v. i. - To unite; to agree; to make friends; -- usually followed by with.
7) v. i. - To take a liking to; to stick to one as cotton; -- used with to.
Share this page