1) n. - An outer garment fitting the upper part of the body; especially, such a garment worn by men.
2) n. - A petticoat.
3) n. - The habit or vesture of an order of men, indicating the order or office; cloth.
4) n. - An external covering like a garment, as fur, skin, wool, husk, or bark; as, the horses coats were sleek.
5) n. - A layer of any substance covering another; a cover; a tegument; as, the coats of the eye; the coats of an onion; a coat of tar or varnish.
6) n. - Same as Coat of arms. See below.
7) n. - A coat card. See below.
8) v. t. - To cover with a coat or outer garment.
9) v. t. - To cover with a layer of any substance; as, to coat a jar with tin foil; to coat a ceiling.
Share this page