1) n. - Respiration; the act of inhaling and exhaling air.
2) n. - Air in gentle motion.
3) n. - Any gentle influence or operation; inspiration; as, the breathings of the Spirit.
4) n. - Aspiration; secret prayer.
5) n. - Exercising; promotion of respiration.
6) n. - Utterance; communication or publicity by words.
7) n. - Breathing place; vent.
8) n. - Stop; pause; delay.
9) n. - Also, in a wider sense, the sound caused by the friction of the outgoing breath in the throat, mouth, etc., when the glottis is wide open; aspiration; the sound expressed by the letter h.
10) n. - A mark to indicate aspiration or its absence. See Rough breathing, Smooth breathing, below.
11) v. t. - To suffer to take breath, or recover the natural breathing; to rest; as, to breathe a horse.
12) v. t. - To put out of breath; to exhaust.
13) v. t. - To utter without vocality, as the nonvocal consonants.
Share this page