1) n. - A hollow metallic vessel, usually shaped somewhat like a cup with a flaring mouth, containing a clapper or tongue, and giving forth a ringing sound on being struck.
2) n. - A hollow perforated sphere of metal containing a loose ball which causes it to sound when moved.
3) n. - Anything in the form of a bell, as the cup or corol of a flower.
4) n. - That part of the capital of a column included between the abacus and neck molding; also used for the naked core of nearly cylindrical shape, assumed to exist within the leafage of a capital.
5) n. - The strikes of the bell which mark the time; or the time so designated.
6) v. t. - To put a bell upon; as, to bell the cat.
7) v. t. - To make bell-mouthed; as, to bell a tube.
8) v. i. - To develop bells or corollas; to take the form of a bell; to blossom; as, hops bell.
9) v. t. - To utter by bellowing.
10) v. i. - To call or bellow, as the deer in rutting time; to make a bellowing sound; to roar.
Share this page