1) n. - The act of coming upon, or taking, unawares; the act of seizing unexpectedly; surprisal; as, the fort was taken by surprise.
2) n. - The state of being surprised, or taken unawares, by some act or event which could not reasonably be foreseen; emotion excited by what is sudden and strange; a suddenly excited feeling of wonder or astonishment.
3) n. - Anything that causes such a state or emotion.
4) n. - A dish covered with a crust of raised paste, but with no other contents.
5) n. - To come or fall suddenly and unexpectedly; to take unawares; to seize or capture by unexpected attack.
6) n. - To strike with wonder, astonishment, or confusion, by something sudden, unexpected, or remarkable; to confound; as, his conduct surprised me.
7) n. - To lead (one) to do suddenly and without forethought; to bring (one) into some unexpected state; -- with into; as, to be surprised into an indiscretion; to be surprised into generosity.
8) n. - To hold possession of; to hold.
Share this page