1) n. - The quality or state of being severe.
2) n. - Gravity or austerity; extreme strictness; rigor; harshness; as, the severity of a reprimand or a reproof; severity of discipline or government; severity of penalties.
3) n. - The quality or power of distressing or paining; extreme degree; extremity; intensity; inclemency; as, the severity of pain or anguish; the severity of cold or heat; the severity of the winter.
4) n. - Harshness; cruel treatment; sharpness of punishment; as, severity practiced on prisoners of war.
5) n. - Exactness; rigorousness; strictness; as, the severity of a test.
Share this page