1) v. t. - To keep or save from injury or destruction; to guard or defend from evil, harm, danger, etc.; to protect.
2) v. t. - To save from decay by the use of some preservative substance, as sugar, salt, etc.; to season and prepare for remaining in a good state, as fruits, meat, etc.; as, to preserve peaches or grapes.
3) v. t. - To maintain throughout; to keep intact; as, to preserve appearances; to preserve silence.
4) v. i. - To make preserves.
5) v. i. - To protect game for purposes of sport.
6) n. - That which is preserved; fruit, etc., seasoned and kept by suitable preparation; esp., fruit cooked with sugar; -- commonly in the plural.
7) n. - A place in which game, fish, etc., are preserved for purposes of sport, or for food.
Share this page