1) a. - Emitting a murmuring sound; droning; murmuring; buzzing.
2) n. - A sound like that made by bees; a low, murmuring sound; a hum.
3) v. i. - To make an inarticulate sound, like h'm, through the nose in the process of speaking, from embarrassment or a affectation; to hem.
4) v. i. - To express satisfaction by a humming noise.
5) v. i. - To have the sensation of a humming noise; as, my head hums, -- a pathological condition.
6) v. t. - To sing with shut mouth; to murmur without articulation; to mumble; as, to hum a tune.
7) v. t. - To express satisfaction with by humming.
8) v. t. - To flatter by approving; to cajole; to impose on; to humbug.
9) n. - A low monotonous noise, as of bees in flight, of a swiftly revolving top, of a wheel, or the like; a drone; a buzz.
10) n. - Any inarticulate and buzzing sound
11) n. - The confused noise of a crowd or of machinery, etc., heard at a distance; as, the hum of industry.
12) n. - A buzz or murmur, as of approbation.
13) n. - An imposition or hoax.
14) interj. - An inarticulate nasal sound or murmur, like h'm, uttered by a speaker in pause from embarrassment, affectation, etc.
15) interj. - A kind of strong drink formerly used.
16) interj. - Ahem; hem; an inarticulate sound uttered in a pause of speech implying doubt and deliberation.
Share this page