1) n. - The spoken sign of a conception or an idea; an articulate or vocal sound, or a combination of articulate and vocal sounds, uttered by the human voice, and by custom expressing an idea or ideas; a single component part of human speech or language; a constituent part of a sentence; a term; a vocable.
2) n. - Hence, the written or printed character, or combination of characters, expressing such a term; as, the words on a page.
3) n. - Talk; discourse; speech; language.
4) n. - Account; tidings; message; communication; information; -- used only in the singular.
5) n. - Signal; order; command; direction.
6) n. - Language considered as implying the faith or authority of the person who utters it; statement; affirmation; declaration; promise.
7) n. - Verbal contention; dispute.
8) n. - A brief remark or observation; an expression; a phrase, clause, or short sentence.
9) v. i. - To use words, as in discussion; to argue; to dispute.
10) v. t. - To express in words; to phrase.
11) v. t. - To ply with words; also, to cause to be by the use of a word or words.
12) v. t. - To flatter with words; to cajole.
Share this page