1) n. - The act of executing or performing any duty, office, or calling; per formance.
2) n. - The appropriate action of any special organ or part of an animal or vegetable organism; as, the function of the heart or the limbs; the function of leaves, sap, roots, etc.; life is the sum of the functions of the various organs and parts of the body.
3) n. - The natural or assigned action of any power or faculty, as of the soul, or of the intellect; the exertion of an energy of some determinate kind.
4) n. - The course of action which peculiarly pertains to any public officer in church or state; the activity appropriate to any business or profession.
5) n. - A quantity so connected with another quantity, that if any alteration be made in the latter there will be a consequent alteration in the former. Each quantity is said to be a function of the other. Thus, the circumference of a circle is a function of the diameter. If x be a symbol to which different numerical values can be assigned, such expressions as x2, 3x, Log. x, and Sin. x, are all functions of x.
6) v. i. - Alt. of Functionate
Share this page