1) - imp. & p. p. of Wend; -- now obsolete except as the imperfect of go, with which it has no etymological connection. See Go.
2) n. - Course; way; path; journey; direction.
3) v. i. - To move upon the feet, or step by step; to walk; also, to walk step by step, or leisurely.
4) v. i. - To be passed on fron one to another; to pass; to circulate; hence, with for, to have currency; to be taken, accepted, or regarded.
5) v. i. - To proceed or happen in a given manner; to fare; to move on or be carried on; to have course; to come to an issue or result; to succeed; to turn out.
6) v. i. - To proceed or tend toward a result, consequence, or product; to tend; to conduce; to be an ingredient; to avail; to apply; to contribute; -- often with the infinitive; as, this goes to show.
7) v. i. - To apply one's self; to set one's self; to undertake.
8) v. i. - To proceed by a mental operation; to pass in mind or by an act of the memory or imagination; -- generally with over or through.
9) v. i. - To be with young; to be pregnant; to gestate.
10) v. i. - To move from the person speaking, or from the point whence the action is contemplated; to pass away; to leave; to depart; -- in opposition to stay and come.
11) v. i. - To pass away; to depart forever; to be lost or ruined; to perish; to decline; to decease; to die.
12) v. i. - To reach; to extend; to lead; as, a line goes across the street; his land goes to the river; this road goes to New York.
13) v. i. - To have recourse; to resort; as, to go to law.
14) v. t. - To take, as a share in an enterprise; to undertake or become responsible for; to bear a part in.
15) v. t. - To bet or wager; as, I'll go you a shilling.
16) n. - Act; working; operation.
17) n. - A circumstance or occurrence; an incident.
18) n. - The fashion or mode; as, quite the go.
19) n. - Noisy merriment; as, a high go.
20) n. - A glass of spirits.
21) n. - Power of going or doing; energy; vitality; perseverance; push; as, there is no go in him.
22) n. - That condition in the course of the game when a player can not lay down a card which will not carry the aggregate count above thirty-one.
Share this page