1) a. - Operating with great effect; effective; as, a telling speech.
2) v. t. - To utter or recite in detail; to give an account of; to narrate.
3) v. t. - To make known; to publish; to disclose; to divulge.
4) v. t. - To give instruction to; to make report to; to acquaint; to teach; to inform.
5) v. t. - To order; to request; to command.
6) v. t. - To discern so as to report; to ascertain by observing; to find out; to discover; as, I can not tell where one color ends and the other begins.
7) v. t. - To make account of; to regard; to reckon; to value; to estimate.
8) v. i. - To give an account; to make report.
9) v. i. - To take effect; to produce a marked effect; as, every shot tells; every expression tells.
10) n. - That which is told; tale; account.
11) n. - A hill or mound.