1) v. t. - To arrest.
2) n. - A state of quiet or repose; a cessation from motion or labor; tranquillity; as, rest from mental exertion; rest of body or mind.
3) n. - Hence, freedom from everything which wearies or disturbs; peace; security.
4) n. - Sleep; slumber; hence, poetically, death.
5) n. - That on which anything rests or leans for support; as, a rest in a lathe, for supporting the cutting tool or steadying the work.
6) n. - A projection from the right side of the cuirass, serving to support the lance.
7) n. - A place where one may rest, either temporarily, as in an inn, or permanently, as, in an abode.
8) n. - A short pause in reading verse; a c/sura.
9) n. - The striking of a balance at regular intervals in a running account.
10) n. - A set or game at tennis.
11) n. - Silence in music or in one of its parts; the name of the character that stands for such silence. They are named as notes are, whole, half, quarter,etc.
12) n. - To cease from action or motion, especially from action which has caused weariness; to desist from labor or exertion.
13) n. - To be free from whanever wearies or disturbs; to be quiet or still.
14) n. - To lie; to repose; to recline; to lan; as, to rest on a couch.
15) n. - To stand firm; to be fixed; to be supported; as, a column rests on its pedestal.
16) n. - To sleep; to slumber; hence, poetically, to be dead.
17) n. - To lean in confidence; to trust; to rely; to repose without anxiety; as, to rest on a man's promise.
18) n. - To be satisfied; to acquiesce.
19) v. t. - To lay or place at rest; to quiet.
20) v. t. - To place, as on a support; to cause to lean.
21) n. - That which is left, or which remains after the separation of a part, either in fact or in contemplation; remainder; residue.
22) n. - Those not included in a proposition or description; the remainder; others.
23) n. - A surplus held as a reserved fund by a bank to equalize its dividends, etc.; in the Bank of England, the balance of assets above liabilities.
24) v. i. - To be left; to remain; to continue to be.