1) n. - A sloping plain between mountain ridges.
2) n. - A small bay; an inlet; a haven.
3) n. - A desire of some good, accompanied with an expectation of obtaining it, or a belief that it is obtainable; an expectation of something which is thought to be desirable; confidence; pleasing expectancy.
4) n. - One who, or that which, gives hope, furnishes ground of expectation, or promises desired good.
5) n. - That which is hoped for; an object of hope.
6) v. i. - To entertain or indulge hope; to cherish a desire of good, or of something welcome, with expectation of obtaining it or belief that it is obtainable; to expect; -- usually followed by for.
7) v. i. - To place confidence; to trust with confident expectation of good; -- usually followed by in.
8) v. t. - To desire with expectation or with belief in the possibility or prospect of obtaining; to look forward to as a thing desirable, with the expectation of obtaining it; to cherish hopes of.
9) v. t. - To expect; to fear.