1) v. i. - To hie.
2) superl. - Elevated above any starting point of measurement, as a line, or surface; having altitude; lifted up; raised or extended in the direction of the zenith; lofty; tall; as, a high mountain, tower, tree; the sun is high.
3) superl. - Regarded as raised up or elevated; distinguished; remarkable; conspicuous; superior; -- used indefinitely or relatively, and often in figurative senses, which are understood from the connection
4) superl. - Elevated in character or quality, whether moral or intellectual; preeminent; honorable; as, high aims, or motives.
5) superl. - Exalted in social standing or general estimation, or in rank, reputation, office, and the like; dignified; as, she was welcomed in the highest circles.
6) superl. - Of noble birth; illustrious; as, of high family.
7) superl. - Of great strength, force, importance, and the like; strong; mighty; powerful; violent; sometimes, triumphant; victorious; majestic, etc.; as, a high wind; high passions.
8) superl. - Very abstract; difficult to comprehend or surmount; grand; noble.
9) superl. - Costly; dear in price; extravagant; as, to hold goods at a high price.
10) superl. - Arrogant; lofty; boastful; proud; ostentatious; -- used in a bad sense.
11) superl. - Possessing a characteristic quality in a supreme or superior degree; as, high (i. e., intense) heat; high (i. e., full or quite) noon; high (i. e., rich or spicy) seasoning; high (i. e., complete) pleasure; high (i. e., deep or vivid) color; high (i. e., extensive, thorough) scholarship, etc.
12) superl. - Strong-scented; slightly tainted; as, epicures do not cook game before it is high.
13) superl. - Acute or sharp; -- opposed to grave or low; as, a high note.
14) superl. - Made with a high position of some part of the tongue in relation to the palate, as / (/ve), / (f/d). See Guide to Pronunciation, // 10, 11.
15) adv. - In a high manner; in a high place; to a great altitude; to a great degree; largely; in a superior manner; eminently; powerfully.
16) n. - An elevated place; a superior region; a height; the sky; heaven.
17) n. - People of rank or high station; as, high and low.
18) n. - The highest card dealt or drawn.
19) v. i. - To rise; as, the sun higheth.
Share this page