1) prep. - In front of; preceding in space; ahead of; as, to stand before the fire; before the house.
2) prep. - Preceding in time; earlier than; previously to; anterior to the time when; -- sometimes with the additional idea of purpose; in order that.
3) prep. - An advance of; farther onward, in place or time.
4) prep. - Prior or preceding in dignity, order, rank, right, or worth; rather than.
5) prep. - In presence or sight of; face to face with; facing.
6) prep. - Under the cognizance or jurisdiction of.
7) prep. - Open for; free of access to; in the power of.
8) adv. - On the fore part; in front, or in the direction of the front; -- opposed to in the rear.
9) adv. - In advance.
10) adv. - In time past; previously; already.
11) adv. - Earlier; sooner than; until then.