1) n. - A human being; -- opposed tobeast.
2) n. - Especially: An adult male person; a grown-up male person, as distinguished from a woman or a child.
3) n. - The human race; mankind.
4) n. - The male portion of the human race.
5) n. - One possessing in a high degree the distinctive qualities of manhood; one having manly excellence of any kind.
6) n. - An adult male servant; also, a vassal; a subject.
7) n. - A term of familiar address often implying on the part of the speaker some degree of authority, impatience, or haste; as, Come, man, we 've no time to lose!
8) n. - A married man; a husband; -- correlative to wife.
9) n. - One, or any one, indefinitely; -- a modified survival of the Saxon use of man, or mon, as an indefinite pronoun.
10) n. - One of the piece with which certain games, as chess or draughts, are played.
11) v. t. - To supply with men; to furnish with a sufficient force or complement of men, as for management, service, defense, or the like; to guard; as, to man a ship, boat, or fort.
12) v. t. - To furnish with strength for action; to prepare for efficiency; to fortify.
13) v. t. - To tame, as a hawk.
14) v. t. - To furnish with a servants.
15) v. t. - To wait on as a manservant.
Share this page